(Dear parents, please note that you may sign up for attendance alerts through your home access accounts to monitor your child’s absences as it happens)
New Fulton County Board Policy:
Parents and/or guardians must complete the attendance form below to document a student absence before or within five days of the absence. If you choose to send in a note we are not responsible if it gets misplaced by the student.
Any student who accumulates 7 or more days in a given school year for any reason will be required to provide additional documentation (doctor’s note, court order, etc.) for any subsequent absence, whether that absence be excused or unexcused.
A student that misses 10 consecutive days will be withdrawn for nonattendance.
Please note that per Fulton County Policy all tardies, regardless of any documentation, will be considered unexcused in the future.
A student’s absence will be considered excused when it is due to any of the following circumstances: (when the student returns to school they must submit written documentation within 3 days)
- Personal Illness of the student. If there is an on-going medical circumstance that requires a student to be absent, late, or checkout early from school frequently or intermittently, a doctor’s note will be required to address medical concerns and need for absences
- After 3 consecutive absences, late arrivals, or early checkouts a doctor’s note will be required
- After 7 cumulative absences and/or 10 cumulative late arrivals or early checkouts, a doctor’s note will be required for any subsequent illness-related absences, late arrivals or early checkouts
2. Attendance at school would be detrimental to the health of the student or others (Documentation required)
3. A serious illness or death in the student’s immediate family necessitating absence from school.
- In the event of a serious illness in the student’s immediate family, schools may require students to present medical documentation regarding the family member upon return to school for validating the excused absence, tardy, or early checkout
- Excused for four days for immediate family (parent, sibling, grandparent, or anyone else living in the student’s household) or excused for two days for non-immediate family (any family member not included in the definition of immediate family)
4. Compliance with a court order or an order issued by a governmental agency (Documentation required)
5. Observance of religious holidays, necessitating absence from school.
6. Conditions rendering attendance impossible or hazardous to the student’s health or (Documentation required)
7, Absences not exceeding a cumulative total of six (6) days per school year for the following reasons, but only if the absence has been preapproved by the principal or designee: a. scholarship interviews/college visitations b. travel opportunity with educational benefits c. graduation or wedding of an immediate family member d. specialized educational experience e. other circumstances that are mutually agreeable to the parent and principal
8. Up to ten (10) instructional days (60 instructional hours) per year for school-sponsored, non- instructional activities (defined as functions during the school day that are under the auspices or sponsorship of a school or the school system) that are specifically approved in advance by the principal or designee. The principal shall ensure that an accurate record of all such absences is maintained
9. School days missed as a result of an out-of-school suspension.