WHAT IS TITLE 1?
Title I is a federally funded program that is intended to supplement the regular classroom curriculum. Students are provided additional support on the core contents areas of ELA (Math/Science/SocialStudies). The program’s goal is to support students, so that every child meets and/or exceeds the state’s standards. A variety of teaching methods and materials are used to reinforce curriculum concepts.
Amana Academy is identified as schoolwide Title I as part of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA). A schoolwide Title I program ensures the success of all students. Everyone has access to the numerous resources and materials purchased with Title I funds, including tablets, laptops, computer programs, books, manipulatives, and learning games. Because of Title I, you and your child have access to excellent resources and enriching programs.
SCHOOL COMPACT FOR SHARED STUDENT ACHIEVEMENT
What is it? This Compact describes how Amana Academy will provide opportunities to improve parent engagement in order to support student learning. The staff and parents at Amana Academy are committed to providing a quality education for all of our students. In order to achieve this goal, the teachers and staff at Amana Academy realize that a strong partnership between the school and home is essential. We encourage our parents and community to actively participate in the education of Amana Academy students.
The Compacts are reviewed and updated annually based on feedback from parents, students, and teachers during the Parent Feedback Meeting. The School-Parent-Student compacts are distribute to parents during the beginning of each school year in order to review throughout the year
How is it developed and revised? Amana Academy welcomes parent feedback at any time regarding the Compact. All parent feedback will be used to revise the Compact for the next school year. The Compact is posted on our school website for parents to view throughout the year. Feedback can be sent at any time using the feedback form available online in our website. We also distribute an annual survey online to ask parents for their suggestions on the Compact and the use of the reserved 1% Title I funds for parent involvement. Parents can also give feedback during our end-of-the-year May Meeting to revise the Compact for the upcoming school year and have the opportunity to give input on the School-wide Compact. Any comments or feedback showing the Title I School-wide Compact is not satisfactory to parents will be submitted to the District Title I Office.
Who is it for? All students participating in the Title I program, and their families, are encouraged and invited to fully participate in the opportunities described in this Compact. Amana Academy provides complete opportunity for the participation of parents with limited English, parents with disabilities, and parents of migratory children.
Where is it available? At the beginning of the school year, the Compact is sent home with all students. The Compact is posted on the Amana Academy Title I website and we offer copies in the Front desk under Parent Involvement Folder.
Amana Academy’s 2019-2020 Compact is attached below.
AMANA ACADEMY: WE ARE CREW, NOT PASSENGERS!
Amana Academy will take the following measures to promote and support parents as an important foundation of the school in order to strengthen the school and reach our school goals. We will:
- Ensure that all information related to school and parent programs, meetings, and other activities is published in English, Spanish and Arabic posted to the school website, and included in school newsletters for all parents.
- Conduct staff development on parent involvement practices and effective strategies for staff to communicate and build partnerships with parents.
- Share information in English, Spanish and Arabic on the school website and newsletters for parents to understand the school’s academic standards and assessments as well as the ways parents can monitor their child’s progress and work with educators.
- Communicate with all families and the community on a regular basis regarding schoolwide events and activities such as weekly newsletters, social media.
- Provide necessary materials to parents at conferences, meetings, and activities to help parents work with their child to improve their child’s academic achievement.
- Collaborate with community leaders and partners in education to increase participation and awareness of the school parental involvement plan and activities.
- Offer parent classes to help further enhance the various education backgrounds.
- Listen and respond to parents’ requests for additional support for parental involvement activities.
- Provide multiple meetings throughout the year at convenient times for parents to support the partnership between home, school, and community to improve student academic success.
At Amana Academy, parent involvement means the participation of parents in regular, two-way, and meaningful communication involving student academic learning and other school activities, including ensuring:
- That parents play an integral role in assisting their child’s learning;
- That parents are encouraged to be actively involved in their child’s education at school;
- That parents are full partners in their child’s education and are included, as appropriate, in decision-making and on advisory committees to assist in the education of their child;
- The carrying out of other activities as described in this plan.
Amana Academy will host the following events to build the capacity for strong parental involvement to support a partnership among the school, parents, and the community to improve student academic achievement.
- Open House – August 9: Meet your child’s teacher and our friendly and helpful staff of the year.
- Volunteer Orientations – September 4 & 5: Attend the required training to become an active volunteer at Amana
- Curriculum Nights – September 4 & 5: Visit your children’s’ classrooms to better understand what they’re academically focusing on this year
- Parent Input Meetings : Provide your input and feedback to help foster Amana’s growth
- Annual Title I Meeting – Parents will learn about our Title I program and what it means to be part of a Title I school.
- Parent/Teacher Conferences – October 24 & 25: Parents will have the opportunity to check on child’s progress and discuss their compacts in Grades K-5.
- Passion Faire- November 14: Enjoy a day of student creativity, talent and passion showcased at Amana
- Parent Feedback Meeting– – An evening for Amana families to help plan and provide input for our Schoolwide Plan for the upcoming
- school year.
- Community Circle EACH Friday – where students can demonstrate what they learn during the week
Amana Academy is committed to helping our parents attend the parental activities listed in this plan. Please call or email us if you need assistance.
Sameera Omar, Title I Parent Liaison
Revision Date: 10/26/2020